Adrian Chilvers [‘eɪdrɪɘn ‘ʧɪlvəz]
Graphic Designer/ Illustrator/ Photographer
Mob: 07970 011940
In 13 years working for the FT I held a variety of posts including Layout Designer, Illustrator, Advertising Designer and Art Editor. I have extended my skills to include commissioning, marketing design, and most recently have enjoyed considerable success designing and managing new branding projects and photography of web based product galleries, print advertising and retail display. I am looking to secure a role or commissions where my broad experience and skills will be pivotal to the effective presentation of the business and its products.
Primary Software used is Adobe Indesign, Adobe Illustrator, Abobe Photoshop.
Cambridge Art School 1973-1978
Foundation & Illustration.
Professional Musician 1978 – 1984
Toured UK and Europe recording and TV.
ECC Publications (Acorn User and Practical Robotics) 1984-1985
Freelance technical illustrator for electronics publications.
Financial Times FTBI (Pearson) 1985 – 1998
Worked on many publications including:
- Investors Chronicle
- The Banker
- Resident Abroad
During my time as Art Editor of Resident Abroad magazine we won The Queen’s Award For Exports.
As art editor of Investors Chronicle, my duties included
- Internal design updates
- Cover illustration,
- Commissioning, Cover Art
- Cover photography and illustration. This role included art directing photo-shoots,
- Magazine layout and conversion to HTML for the web site.
Freelance Designer 1998 – 2003
I went freelance in 1998 working mostly in London.
- VNU Publications (Computing Newspaper)
- Haymarket Press (Marketing Magazine)
- Euromoney publications (Euromoney, Central European)
- Emap Finance (Media & Marketing Europe, The Journal, Review, Insurance Age,
- International Risk Management, Health Insurance)
- IPE Magazines (Investment and Pensions Europe).
- Cambridge University Press (The Physiology Society).
- EDC Editorial Design Concepts, (Football association Cup Final Programme 2000)
- 7 layers (now part of Cambridge Wireless)
- Cambridge Word Fest,
- Won Royal Mail Best Direct Mail Campaign by Agency
Digital Village / DV247 2003 – 2014
At its peak Digital Village was the biggest UK music retailer (a turn-over of £39m per year) providing music products to the public and schools all over Europe via a web site and retail stores.
As Designer at DV247 my responsibilities were:
- Photography – Product galleries for web, print advertising and retail display. Image processing with Photoshop.
- Staff portrait’s and site visit records)
- Web Graphics – Adobe Illustrator logo creation, recreation and manipulation for web site page furniture, banners and development work. “site skinning.”
Project Management and implementation of:
- External Signs Design of shop fronts, planning permission applications, site
- visits, materials evaluation, project management and implementation,
- Internal Signs Safety signs and general information. Design and print
- Brand Management Creation and control of corporate logos artworks. Development of
- corporate logos for new environments and media. Writing and updating of Brand Bible / Style Guide.
- Advertising creation of adverts using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator for print. Web banners and SEO.
- Retail Graphics Creation of store posters, slat wall graphics and branded clothing
- Stationery Design, costing and ordering of all business stationery
- Architectural Plans Site measurement, production of scale drawings in “Illustrator” (compatible with Auto Cad). Incorporation of proposed changes and additions including services.
- Packaging Design of branded cardboard product packaging with cuts, engraved metal computer badges, and laser etched laptop cases with creation of templates.
- Publishing From initial concept to creation of catalogues, brochures, PDF guides.
- Software packaging.
- Illustration Catalogue covers, brochure covers, internal diagrams and company staff structures.
- Using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
EMAP 2014 – Present
I am the designer on Health Service Journal laying out issues, my work includes picture research and creation all related artworks.
I have worked with PC and Apple technology for over 20 years.